Is this medication very expensive?
What is Cefuroxime?
Treating bacterial infections or preventing bacterial infections before, during, or after certain surgeries.
Cefuroxime is a cephalosporin antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
NOTE: CEFUROXIME AXETIL TABLETS AND CEFUROXIME AXETIL FOR ORAL SUSPENSION ARE NOT BIOEQUIVALENT AND ARE NOT SUBSTITUTABLE ON AMILLIGRAM-PER-MILLIGRAM BASIS.
Cefuroxime axetil for oral suspension is indicated for the treatment of pediatric patients 3 months to 12 years of age with mild to moderate infections caused by susceptible strains of the designated microorganisms in the conditions listed below. The safety and effectiveness of cefuroxime axetil for oral suspension in the treatment of infections other than those specifically listed below have not been established either by adequate and well-controlled trials or by pharmacokinetic data with which to determine an effective and safe dosing regimen.
- Pharyngitis/Tonsillitis caused by Streptococcus pyogenes. NOTE: The usual drug of choice in the treatment and prevention of streptococcal infections, including the prophylaxis of rheumatic fever, is penicillin given by the intramuscular route. Cefuroxime axetil for oral suspension is generally effective in the eradication of streptococci from the nasopharynx; however, substantial data establishing the efficacy of cefuroxime in the subsequent prevention of rheumatic fever are not available. Please also note that in all clinical trials, all isolates had to be sensitive to both penicillin and cefuroxime. There are no data from adequate and well-controlled trials to demonstrate the effectiveness of cefuroxime in the treatment of penicillin-resistant strains of Streptococcus pyogenes.
- Acute Bacterial Otitis Media caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae (including beta-lactamase-producing strains), Moraxella catarrhalis (including beta-lactamase-producing strains), or Streptococcus pyogenes.
- Impetigo caused by Staphylococcus aureus (including beta-lactamase-producing strains) or Streptococcus pyogenes.
To reduce the development of drug-resistant bacteria and maintain the effectiveness of cefuroxime axetil for oral suspension and other antibacterial drugs, cefuroxime axetil for oral suspension should be used only to treat or prevent infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by susceptible bacteria. When culture and susceptibility information are available, they should be considered in selecting or modifying antibacterial therapy. In the absence of such data, local epidemiology and susceptibility patterns may contribute to the empiric selection of therapy.
How should I use Cefuroxime?
Use cefuroxime as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Cefuroxime is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using cefuroxime at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use cefuroxime. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- To clear up your infection completely, use cefuroxime for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Do not use cefuroxime if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of cefuroxime, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use cefuroxime.
Uses of Cefuroxime in details
Cefuroxime is used to treat any bacterial infection of the respiratory tract, kidney and urinary tract, and certain parasitic diseases. It is also used as preventive measure before eye or tooth extraction surgery to reduce infection of the internal coats of the eye (endophthalmitis).
Broad-spectrum cephalosporin antibiotic resistant to beta-lactamase. It has been proposed for infections with gram-negative and gram-positive organisms, gonorrhea, and haemophilus. [PubChem]
Active ingredient matches for Cefuroxime:
- Wikipedia. "cefuroxime: Link to the compound information in Wikipedia.". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cefuroxime (accessed September 18, 2017).
- PubChem. "cefuroxime". https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compoun... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- FDA Orange Book. "CEFUROXIME SODIUM: The publication, Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations (the List, commonly known as the Orange Book), identifies drug products approved on the basis of safety and effectiveness by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act).". https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/InformationOnD... (accessed September 18, 2017).
ReviewsThe results of a survey conducted on ndrugs.com for Cefuroxime are given in detail below. The results of the survey conducted are based on the impressions and views of the website users and consumers taking Cefuroxime. We implore you to kindly base your medical condition or therapeutic choices on the result or test conducted by a physician or licensed medical practitioners.
Consumer reported usefulNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported price estimatesNo survey data has been collected yet
2 consumers reported time for resultsTo what extent do I have to use Cefuroxime before I begin to see changes in my health conditions?
As part of the reports released by ndrugs.com website users, it takes 2 weeks and a few days before you notice an improvement in your health conditions.
Please note, it doesn't mean you will start to notice such health improvement in the same time frame as other users. There are many factors to consider, and we implore you to visit your doctor to know how long before you can see improvements in your health while taking Cefuroxime. To get the time effectiveness of using Cefuroxime drug by other patients, please click here.
2 consumers reported age