How long did you take this medication to work?
What is Ciprofloxacin 200?
Ciprofloxacin 200 injection is used to treat bacterial infections in many different parts of the body. It is also used to treat anthrax infection after inhalational exposure.
Ciprofloxacin 200 belongs to the class of drugs known as quinolone antibiotics. It works by killing bacteria or preventing their growth. However, Ciprofloxacin 200 will not work for colds, flu, or other virus infections.
Ciprofloxacin 200 is to be given only by or under the direct supervision of your doctor.
Ciprofloxacin 200 indications
Ciprofloxacin 200 for oral suspension is indicated for the treatment of infections caused by susceptible isolates of the designated microorganisms in the conditions and patient populations listed below. Please see for specific recommendations.
Urinary Tract Infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Serratia marcescens, Proteus mirabilis, Providencia rettgeri, Morganella morganii, Citrobacter koseri (diversus), Citrobacter freundii, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus saprophyticus, or vancomycin-susceptible Enterococcus faecalis.
Acute Uncomplicated Cystitis in Females caused by Escherichia coli or Staphylococcus saprophyticus.
Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis caused by Escherichia coli or Proteus mirabilis.
Lower Respiratory Tract Infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Proteus mirabilis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Haemophilus influenzae, Haemophilus parainfluenzae, or penicillin-susceptible Streptococcus pneumoniae.* Also, Moraxella catarrhalis for the treatment of acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis.
*Ciprofloxacin 200 is not a drug of first choice in the treatment of presumed or confirmed pneumonia secondary to Streptococcus pneumoniae.
Acute Sinusitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, penicillin-susceptible Streptococcus pneumoniae, or Moraxella catarrhalis.
Skin and Skin Structure Infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Proteus mirabilis, Proteus vulgaris, Providencia stuartii, Morganella morganii, Citrobacter freundii, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus, methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus epidermidis, or Streptococcus pyogenes.
Bone and Joint Infections caused by Enterobacter cloacae, Serratia marcescens, or Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Complicated Intra-Abdominal Infections (used in combination with metronidazole) caused by Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Proteus mirabilis, Klebsiella pneumoniae, or Bacteroides fragilis.
Infectious Diarrhea caused by Escherichia coli (enterotoxigenic isolates), Campylobacter jejuni, Shigella boydii†, Shigella dysenteriae, Shigella flexneri or Shigella sonnei† when antibacterial therapy is indicated.
†Although treatment of infections due to this organism in this organ system demonstrated a clinically significant outcome, efficacy was studied in fewer than 10 patients.
Typhoid Fever (Enteric Fever) caused by Salmonella typhi.
NOTE: The efficacy of Ciprofloxacin 200 in the eradication of the chronic typhoid carrier state has not been demonstrated.
Uncomplicated Cervical and Urethral Gonorrhea due to Neisseria gonorrhoeae.
Pediatric Patients (1 to 17 years of age)
Complicated Urinary Tract Infections and Pyelonephritis due to Escherichia coli.
NOTE: Although effective in clinical trials, Ciprofloxacin 200 is not a drug of first choice in the pediatric population due to an increased incidence of adverse events compared to controls, including events related to joints and/or surrounding tissues. Ciprofloxacin 200, like other fluoroquinolones, is associated with arthropathy and histopathological changes in weight-bearing joints of juvenile animals..
Adult and Pediatric Patients
Inhalational Anthrax (post-exposure)
To reduce the incidence or progression of disease following exposure to aerosolized Bacillus anthracis.
Ciprofloxacin 200 serum concentrations achieved in humans served as a surrogate endpoint reasonably likely to predict clinical benefit and provided the initial basis for approval of this indication.5 Supportive clinical information for Ciprofloxacin 200 for anthrax post-exposure prophylaxis was obtained during the anthrax bioterror attacks of October 2001.
If anaerobic organisms are suspected of contributing to the infection, appropriate therapy should be administered. Appropriate culture and susceptibility tests should be performed before treatment in order to isolate and identify organisms causing infection and to determine their susceptibility to Ciprofloxacin 200. Therapy with Ciprofloxacin 200 may be initiated before results of these tests are known; once results become available appropriate therapy should be continued. As with other drugs, some isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa may develop resistance fairly rapidly during treatment with Ciprofloxacin 200. Culture and susceptibility testing performed periodically during therapy will provide information not only on the therapeutic effect of the antimicrobial agent but also on the possible emergence of bacterial resistance.
To reduce the development of drug-resistant bacteria and maintain the effectiveness of Ciprofloxacin 200 for oral suspension and other antibacterial drugs, Ciprofloxacin 200 for oral suspension should be used only to treat or prevent infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by susceptible bacteria. When culture and susceptibility information are available, they should be considered in selecting or modifying antibacterial therapy. In the absence of such data, local epidemiology and susceptibility patterns may contribute to the empiric selection of therapy.
How should I use Ciprofloxacin 200?
Use Ciprofloxacin 200 as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ciprofloxacin 200 comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Ciprofloxacin 200 refilled.
- Ciprofloxacin 200 is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Ciprofloxacin 200 at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Ciprofloxacin 200. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Ciprofloxacin 200 if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Ciprofloxacin 200 for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Ciprofloxacin 200 is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you miss a dose of Ciprofloxacin 200, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ciprofloxacin 200.
Uses of Ciprofloxacin 200 in details
Ciprofloxacin 200 is used to treat wide range of bacterial infections including lung or respiratory tract infections, eye infection, bladder and kidney infections, reproductive tract infections, skin and soft tissue infections and bone and joint infections.
Ciprofloxacin 200 description
Ciprofloxacin 200 is a drug used to treat bacterial infections. It is a second generation fluoroquinolone antibacterial. It kills bacteria by interfering with the enzymes that cause DNA to rewind after being copied, which stops DNA and protein synthesis.
Ciprofloxacin 200 is marketed worldwide with over three hundred different brand names. In the United States, Canada and the UK, it is marketed as Ciloxan, Cipro, Cipro XR, Cipro XL Ciproxin and, most recently, Proquin. In Mexico it is available over the counter and marketed under the names Ciproflox or Ciprofloxacino. In Ecuador it is available and marketed under the name Cidrax. In Nigeria it is sold as Ciprotab while in Bangladesh it is marketed as Tablets and Microcapsules for Suspension by numerous companies, one of which is by Edruc Limited as Cipron. Additionally, Ciprofloxacin 200 is available as a generic drug under a variety of different brand names and is also available for limited use in veterinary medicine.
Ciprofloxacin 200 was first patented in 1983 by Bayer A.G. and subsequently approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1987.Ciprofloxacin 200 has 12 F.D.A.-approved human uses and other veterinary uses, but it is often used for non-approved uses (off-label).
Ciprofloxacin 200 interacts with other drugs, herbal and natural supplements, and thyroid medications.
Active ingredient matches for Ciprofloxacin 200:
- DailyMed. "CIPROFLOXACIN; DEXAMETHASONE: DailyMed provides trustworthy information about marketed drugs in the United States. DailyMed is the official provider of FDA label information (package inserts).". https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/se... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- Wikipedia. "ciprofloxacin: Link to the compound information in Wikipedia.". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciprofloxa... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- PubChem. "ciprofloxacin". https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compoun... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- FDA Orange Book. "CIPROFLOXACIN; CIPROFLOXACIN HYDROCHLORIDE: The publication, Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations (the List, commonly known as the Orange Book), identifies drug products approved on the basis of safety and effectiveness by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act).". https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/InformationOnD... (accessed September 18, 2017).
ReviewsThe results of a survey conducted on ndrugs.com for Ciprofloxacin 200 are given in detail below. The results of the survey conducted are based on the impressions and views of the website users and consumers taking Ciprofloxacin 200. We implore you to kindly base your medical condition or therapeutic choices on the result or test conducted by a physician or licensed medical practitioners.
Consumer reported usefulNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported price estimatesNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported time for resultsNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported ageNo survey data has been collected yet