How old is patient?
What is Ciprofloxacin 250?
Ciprofloxacin 250 is an antibiotic in a group of drugs called fluoroquinolones (flor-o-KWIN-o-lones). Ciprofloxacin 250 fights bacteria in the body.
Ciprofloxacin 250 is used to treat different types of bacterial infections. Ciprofloxacin 250 is also used to treat people who have been exposed to anthrax.
Ciprofloxacin 250 may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Ciprofloxacin 250 indications
Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are indicated for the treatment of infections caused by susceptible isolates of the designated microorganisms in the conditions and patient populations listed below.
Urinary Tract Infections
Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of urinary tract infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Serratia marcescens, Proteus mirabilis, Providencia rettgeri, Morganella morganii, Citrobacter koseri, Citrobacter freundii, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus saprophyticus, or Enterococcus faecalis.
Acute Uncomplicated Cystitis
Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are indicated in adult female patients for treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis caused by Escherichia coli or Staphylococcus saprophyticus.
Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis
Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of chronic bacterial prostatitis caused by Escherichia coli or Proteus mirabilis.
Lower Respiratory Tract Infections
Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of lower respiratory tract infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Proteus mirabilis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Haemophilus influenzae, Haemophilus parainfluenzae, or Streptococcus pneumoniae. Also, Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are indicated for the treatment of acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis caused by Moraxella catarrhalis.
Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of acute sinusitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, or Moraxella catarrhalis.
Skin and Skin Structure Infections
Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of skin and skin structure infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Proteus mirabilis, Proteus vulgaris, Providencia stuartii, Morganella morganii, Citrobacter freundii, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus, methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus epidermidis, or Streptococcus pyogenes.
Bone and Joint Infections
Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of bone and joint infections caused by Enterobacter cloacae, Serratia marcescens, or Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Complicated Intra-Abdominal Infections
Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of complicated intra-abdominal infections (used in combination with metronidazole) caused by Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Proteus mirabilis, Klebsiella pneumoniae, or Bacteroides fragilis.
Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of infectious diarrhea caused by Escherichia coli (enterotoxigenic isolates), Campylobacter jejuni, Shigella boydii†,Shigella dysenteriae, Shigella flexneri or Shigella sonnei† when antibacterial therapy is indicated.
†Although treatment of infections due to this organism in this organ system demonstrated a clinically significant outcome, efficacy was studied in fewer than 10 patients.
Typhoid Fever (Enteric Fever)
Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of typhoid fever (enteric fever) caused by Salmonella typhi. The efficacy of Ciprofloxacin 250 in the eradication of the chronic typhoid carrier state has not been demonstrated.
Uncomplicated Cervical and Urethral Gonorrhea
Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of uncomplicated cervical and urethral gonorrhea due to Neisseria gonorrhoeae.
Complicated Urinary Tract Infections and Pyelonephritis
Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are indicated in pediatric patients one to 17 years of age for treatment of complicated urinary tract infections (cUTI) and pyelonephritis due to Escherichia coli.
Inhalational Anthrax (post-exposure)
Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are indicated in adults and pediatric patients from birth to 17 years of age for inhalational anthrax (post-exposure) to reduce the incidence or progression of disease following exposure to aerosolized Bacillus anthracis.
Ciprofloxacin 250 serum concentrations achieved in humans served as a surrogate endpoint reasonably likely to predict clinical benefit and provided the initial basis for approval of this indication.1 Supportive clinical information for Ciprofloxacin 250 for anthrax post-exposure prophylaxis was obtained during the anthrax bioterror attacks of October 2001.
Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are indicated for treatment of plague, including pneumonic and septicemic plague, due to Yersinia pestis (Y. pestis) and prophylaxis for plague in adults and pediatric patients from birth to 17 years of age. Efficacy studies of Ciprofloxacin 250 could not be conducted in humans with plague for feasibility reasons. Therefore this indication is based on an efficacy study conducted in animals only.
Limitation of Use
Use in Pediatric Patients
Although effective in clinical trials, Ciprofloxacin 250 is not a drug of first choice in the pediatric population due to an increased incidence of adverse events compared to controls, including events related to joints and/or surrounding tissues. Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP, like other fluoroquinolones, is associated with arthropathy and histopathological changes in weight-bearing joints of juvenile animals.
Lower Respiratory Tract Infections
Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP are not a drug of first choice in the treatment of presumed or confirmed pneumonia secondary to Streptococcus pneumoniae.
To reduce the development of drug-resistant bacteria and maintain the effectiveness of Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP and other antibacterial drugs, Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP should be used only to treat or prevent infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by susceptible bacteria. When culture and susceptibility information are available, they should be considered in selecting or modifying antibacterial therapy. In the absence of such data, local epidemiology and susceptibility patterns may contribute to the empiric selection of therapy.
If anaerobic organisms are suspected of contributing to the infection, appropriate therapy should be administered. Appropriate culture and susceptibility tests should be performed before treatment in order to isolate and identify organisms causing infection and to determine their susceptibility to Ciprofloxacin 250. Therapy with Ciprofloxacin 250 tablets USP may be initiated before results of these tests are known; once results become available appropriate therapy should be continued. As with other drugs, some isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa may develop resistance fairly rapidly during treatment with Ciprofloxacin 250. Culture and susceptibility testing performed periodically during therapy will provide information not only on the therapeutic effect of the antimicrobial agent but also on the possible emergence of bacterial resistance.
How should I use Ciprofloxacin 250?
Use Ciprofloxacin 250 as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ciprofloxacin 250 is only for the ear. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Wash hands before and after using Ciprofloxacin 250.
- Before using, hold the ear drop container in your hand for at least 1 minute to avoid dizziness that may result from putting cold drops into the ear.
- Lie down or tilt your head so that the affected ear faces up. For adults, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal. For children, gently pull the earlobe down and back to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for at least 1 minute so the medicine can run to the bottom of the ear canal. A clean cotton plug may be gently inserted into the ear canal to prevent medicine from leaking out.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator to any surface, including the ear.
- There is no preservative in Ciprofloxacin 250; each container is for a one-time use only. Use your dose right away after you open the container. Throw away the container and any medicine left in the container after you use your dose.
- Use your doses of Ciprofloxacin 250 about 12 hours apart.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Ciprofloxacin 250 for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Ciprofloxacin 250, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ciprofloxacin 250.
Uses of Ciprofloxacin 250 in details
Ciprofloxacin 250 is used to treat wide range of bacterial infections including lung or respiratory tract infections, eye infection, bladder and kidney infections, reproductive tract infections, skin and soft tissue infections and bone and joint infections.
Ciprofloxacin 250 description
Ciprofloxacin 250 is a drug used to treat bacterial infections. It is a second generation fluoroquinolone antibacterial. It kills bacteria by interfering with the enzymes that cause DNA to rewind after being copied, which stops DNA and protein synthesis.
Ciprofloxacin 250 is marketed worldwide with over three hundred different brand names. In the United States, Canada and the UK, it is marketed as Ciloxan, Cipro, Cipro XR, Cipro XL Ciproxin and, most recently, Proquin. In Mexico it is available over the counter and marketed under the names Ciproflox or Ciprofloxacino. In Ecuador it is available and marketed under the name Cidrax. In Nigeria it is sold as Ciprotab while in Bangladesh it is marketed as Tablets and Microcapsules for Suspension by numerous companies, one of which is by Edruc Limited as Cipron. Additionally, Ciprofloxacin 250 is available as a generic drug under a variety of different brand names and is also available for limited use in veterinary medicine.
Ciprofloxacin 250 was first patented in 1983 by Bayer A.G. and subsequently approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1987.Ciprofloxacin 250 has 12 F.D.A.-approved human uses and other veterinary uses, but it is often used for non-approved uses (off-label).
Ciprofloxacin 250 interacts with other drugs, herbal and natural supplements, and thyroid medications.
Active ingredient matches for Ciprofloxacin 250:
- DailyMed. "CIPROFLOXACIN; DEXAMETHASONE: DailyMed provides trustworthy information about marketed drugs in the United States. DailyMed is the official provider of FDA label information (package inserts).". https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/se... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- Wikipedia. "ciprofloxacin: Link to the compound information in Wikipedia.". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciprofloxa... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- PubChem. "ciprofloxacin". https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compoun... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- FDA Orange Book. "CIPROFLOXACIN; CIPROFLOXACIN HYDROCHLORIDE: The publication, Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations (the List, commonly known as the Orange Book), identifies drug products approved on the basis of safety and effectiveness by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act).". https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/InformationOnD... (accessed September 18, 2017).
ReviewsThe results of a survey conducted on ndrugs.com for Ciprofloxacin 250 are given in detail below. The results of the survey conducted are based on the impressions and views of the website users and consumers taking Ciprofloxacin 250. We implore you to kindly base your medical condition or therapeutic choices on the result or test conducted by a physician or licensed medical practitioners.
Consumer reported usefulNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported price estimatesNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported time for resultsNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported ageNo survey data has been collected yet