Is this medication very expensive?
What is Ciprofloxacin 500?
Ciprofloxacin 500 injection is used to treat bacterial infections in many different parts of the body. It is also used to treat anthrax infection after inhalational exposure.
Ciprofloxacin 500 belongs to the class of drugs known as quinolone antibiotics. It works by killing bacteria or preventing their growth. However, Ciprofloxacin 500 will not work for colds, flu, or other virus infections.
Ciprofloxacin 500 is to be given only by or under the direct supervision of your doctor.
Ciprofloxacin 500 indications
Lower Respiratory Tract Infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Proteus mirabilis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Haemophilus influenzae, Haemophilus parainfluenzae, or Streptococcus pneumoniae. Also, Moraxella catarrhalis for the treatment of acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis.
Bone and Joint Infections caused by Enterobacter cloacae, Serratia marcescens, or Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Skin and Skin Structure Infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Proteus mirabilis, Proteus vulgaris, Providencia stuartii, Morganella morganii, Citrobacter freundii, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus (methicillin-susceptible), Staphylococcus epidermidis, or Streptococcus pyogenes.
Typhoid Fever (Enteric Fever) caused by Salmonella typhi.
Urinary Tract Infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Serratia marcescens, Proteus mirabilis, Providencia rettgeri, Morganella morganii, Citrobacter diversus, Citrobacter freundii, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus saprophyticus, or Enterococcus faecalis.
Acute Uncomplicated Cystitis in females caused by Escherichia coli or Staphylococcus saprophyticus.
Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis caused by Escherichia coli or Proteus mirabilis.
Acute Sinusitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, or Moraxella catarrhalis.
Complicated Intra-Abdominal Infections (used in combination with metronidazole) caused by Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Proteus mirabilis, Klebsiella pneumoniae, or Bacteroides fragilis.
Infectious Diarrhoea caused by Escherichia coli (enterotoxigenic strains), Campylobacter jejuni, Shigella boydii, Shigella dysenteriae, Shigella flexneri or Shigella sonnei when antibacterial therapy is indicated.
Uncomplicated cervical and urethral gonorrhoea due to Neisseria gonorrhoeae.
How should I use Ciprofloxacin 500?
Use Ciprofloxacin 500 as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ciprofloxacin 500 comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Ciprofloxacin 500 refilled.
- An extra patient leaflet may be available with Ciprofloxacin 500. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Ciprofloxacin 500 by mouth with or without food. The preferred dosing time is 2 hours after a meal.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Take Ciprofloxacin 500 with a full glass of water (8 oz [240 mL]).
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Ciprofloxacin 500 is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you also take any products containing magnesium, aluminum, calcium, iron, or zinc (eg, antacids, quinapril, vitamins/minerals); didanosine; sucralfate; or bismuth subsalicylate, do not take them within 6 hours before or 2 hours after taking Ciprofloxacin 500. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- If you also take sevelamer, do not take it within 4 hours before or after taking Ciprofloxacin 500. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- Ciprofloxacin 500 works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Ciprofloxacin 500 for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Avoid taking Ciprofloxacin 500 with milk or milk products (eg, calcium-enriched juice, yogurt) by themselves. However, taking Ciprofloxacin 500 as part of a full meal that contains milk or milk products is permitted.
- Do not miss any doses. If you miss a dose of Ciprofloxacin 500, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ciprofloxacin 500.
Uses of Ciprofloxacin 500 in details
Ciprofloxacin 500 is used to treat wide range of bacterial infections including lung or respiratory tract infections, eye infection, bladder and kidney infections, reproductive tract infections, skin and soft tissue infections and bone and joint infections.
Ciprofloxacin 500 description
Ciprofloxacin 500 is a drug used to treat bacterial infections. It is a second generation fluoroquinolone antibacterial. It kills bacteria by interfering with the enzymes that cause DNA to rewind after being copied, which stops DNA and protein synthesis.
Ciprofloxacin 500 is marketed worldwide with over three hundred different brand names. In the United States, Canada and the UK, it is marketed as Ciloxan, Cipro, Cipro XR, Cipro XL Ciproxin and, most recently, Proquin. In Mexico it is available over the counter and marketed under the names Ciproflox or Ciprofloxacino. In Ecuador it is available and marketed under the name Cidrax. In Nigeria it is sold as Ciprotab while in Bangladesh it is marketed as Tablets and Microcapsules for Suspension by numerous companies, one of which is by Edruc Limited as Cipron. Additionally, Ciprofloxacin 500 is available as a generic drug under a variety of different brand names and is also available for limited use in veterinary medicine.
Ciprofloxacin 500 was first patented in 1983 by Bayer A.G. and subsequently approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1987.Ciprofloxacin 500 has 12 F.D.A.-approved human uses and other veterinary uses, but it is often used for non-approved uses (off-label).
Ciprofloxacin 500 interacts with other drugs, herbal and natural supplements, and thyroid medications.
Active ingredient matches for Ciprofloxacin 500:
- DailyMed. "CIPROFLOXACIN; DEXAMETHASONE: DailyMed provides trustworthy information about marketed drugs in the United States. DailyMed is the official provider of FDA label information (package inserts).". https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/se... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- Wikipedia. "ciprofloxacin: Link to the compound information in Wikipedia.". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciprofloxa... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- PubChem. "ciprofloxacin". https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compoun... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- FDA Orange Book. "CIPROFLOXACIN; CIPROFLOXACIN HYDROCHLORIDE: The publication, Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations (the List, commonly known as the Orange Book), identifies drug products approved on the basis of safety and effectiveness by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act).". https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/InformationOnD... (accessed September 18, 2017).
ReviewsThe results of a survey conducted on ndrugs.com for Ciprofloxacin 500 are given in detail below. The results of the survey conducted are based on the impressions and views of the website users and consumers taking Ciprofloxacin 500. We implore you to kindly base your medical condition or therapeutic choices on the result or test conducted by a physician or licensed medical practitioners.
Consumer reported usefulNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported price estimatesNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported time for resultsNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported ageNo survey data has been collected yet