Did you have any side effects with this medicine?
What is Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg?
Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg is an antibiotic in a group of drugs called fluoroquinolones (flor-o-KWIN-o-lones). Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg fights bacteria in the body.
Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg is used to treat different types of bacterial infections. Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg is also used to treat people who have been exposed to anthrax.
Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg indications
Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg is indicated for the treatment of infections caused by susceptible strains of the designated microorganisms in the conditions listed below.
Urinary tract infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Serratia marcescens, Proteus mirabilis, Providencia rettgeri, Morganella morganii, Citrobacter diversus, Citrobacter freundii, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus saprophyticus, or Enterococcus faecalis.
Acute uncomplicated cystitis in females caused by Escherichia coli or Staphylococcus saprophyticus.
Chronic bacterial prostatitis caused by Escherichia coli or Proteus mirabilis.
Lower respiratory tract infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Proteus mirabilis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Haemophilus influenzae, Haemophilus parainfluenzae, or Streptococcus pneumoniae. Also, Moraxella catarrhalis for the treatment of acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis.
NOTE: Although effective in clinical trials, Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg is not a drug of first choice in the treatment of presumed or confirmed pneumonia secondary to Streptococcus pneumoniae. Acute Sinusitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, or Moraxella catarrhalis.
Skin and skin structure infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Proteus mirabilis, Proteus vulgaris, Providencia stuartii, Morganella morganii, Citrobacter freundii, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus (methicillin-susceptible), Staphylococcus epidermidis, or Streptococcus pyogenes.
Bone and joint infections caused by Enterobacter cloacae, Serratia marcescens, or Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Complicated intraabdominal infections (used in combination with metronidazole) caused by Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Proteus mirabilis, Klebsiella pneumoniae, or Bacteroides fragilis.
Infectious diarrhea caused by Escherichia coli (enterotoxigenic strains), Campylobacter jejuni, Shigella boydii when antibacterial therapy is indicated.
Typhoid fever (enteric fever) caused by Salmonella typhi.
NOTE: The efficacy of Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg in the eradication of the chronic typhoid carrier state has not been demonstrated.
Uncomplicated cervical and urethral gonorrhea due to Neisseria gonorrhoeae.
Inhalational anthrax (post-exposure): To reduce the incidence or progression of disease following exposure to aerosolized Bacillus anthracis. Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg serum concentrations achieved in humans serve as a surrogate endpoint reasonably likely to predict clinical benefit and provide the basis for this indication.
If anaerobic organisms are suspected of contributing to the infection, appropriate therapy should be administered. As with other drugs, some strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa may develop resistance fairly rapidly during treatment with Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg. Culture and susceptibility testing performed periodically during therapy will provide information not only on the therapeutic effect of the antimicrobial agent but also on the possible emergence of bacterial resistance.
How should I use Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg?
Use Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg refilled.
- Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you miss a dose of Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg.
Uses of Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg in details
Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg is used to treat wide range of bacterial infections including lung or respiratory tract infections, eye infection, bladder and kidney infections, reproductive tract infections, skin and soft tissue infections and bone and joint infections.
Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg description
Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg is a drug used to treat bacterial infections. It is a second generation fluoroquinolone antibacterial. It kills bacteria by interfering with the enzymes that cause DNA to rewind after being copied, which stops DNA and protein synthesis.
Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg is marketed worldwide with over three hundred different brand names. In the United States, Canada and the UK, it is marketed as Ciloxan, Cipro, Cipro XR, Cipro XL Ciproxin and, most recently, Proquin. In Mexico it is available over the counter and marketed under the names Ciproflox or Ciprofloxacino. In Ecuador it is available and marketed under the name Cidrax. In Nigeria it is sold as Ciprotab while in Bangladesh it is marketed as Tablets and Microcapsules for Suspension by numerous companies, one of which is by Edruc Limited as Cipron. Additionally, Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg is available as a generic drug under a variety of different brand names and is also available for limited use in veterinary medicine.
Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg was first patented in 1983 by Bayer A.G. and subsequently approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1987.Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg has 12 F.D.A.-approved human uses and other veterinary uses, but it is often used for non-approved uses (off-label).
Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg interacts with other drugs, herbal and natural supplements, and thyroid medications.
Active ingredient matches for Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg:
- DailyMed. "CIPROFLOXACIN; DEXAMETHASONE: DailyMed provides trustworthy information about marketed drugs in the United States. DailyMed is the official provider of FDA label information (package inserts).". https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/se... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- Wikipedia. "ciprofloxacin: Link to the compound information in Wikipedia.". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciprofloxa... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- PubChem. "ciprofloxacin". https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compoun... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- FDA Orange Book. "CIPROFLOXACIN; CIPROFLOXACIN HYDROCHLORIDE: The publication, Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations (the List, commonly known as the Orange Book), identifies drug products approved on the basis of safety and effectiveness by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act).". https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/InformationOnD... (accessed September 18, 2017).
ReviewsThe results of a survey conducted on ndrugs.com for Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg are given in detail below. The results of the survey conducted are based on the impressions and views of the website users and consumers taking Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg. We implore you to kindly base your medical condition or therapeutic choices on the result or test conducted by a physician or licensed medical practitioners.
Consumer reported usefulNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported price estimatesNo survey data has been collected yet
1 consumer reported time for resultsTo what extent do I have to use Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg before I begin to see changes in my health conditions?
As part of the reports released by ndrugs.com website users, it takes 5 days and a few days before you notice an improvement in your health conditions.
Please note, it doesn't mean you will start to notice such health improvement in the same time frame as other users. There are many factors to consider, and we implore you to visit your doctor to know how long before you can see improvements in your health while taking Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg. To get the time effectiveness of using Ciprofloxacin 500 Mg drug by other patients, please click here.
Consumer reported ageNo survey data has been collected yet