What is the dose of your medication?
What is Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm?
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm is an antibiotic in a group of drugs called fluoroquinolones (flor-o-KWIN-o-lones). Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm fights bacteria in the body.
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm is used to treat different types of bacterial infections. Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm is also used to treat people who have been exposed to anthrax.
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are indicated for the treatment of infections caused by susceptible isolates of the designated microorganisms in the conditions and patient populations listed below.
Urinary Tract Infections
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of urinary tract infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Serratia marcescens, Proteus mirabilis, Providencia rettgeri, Morganella morganii, Citrobacter koseri, Citrobacter freundii, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus epidermidis, Staphylococcus saprophyticus, or Enterococcus faecalis.
Acute Uncomplicated Cystitis
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are indicated in adult female patients for treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis caused by Escherichia coli or Staphylococcus saprophyticus.
Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of chronic bacterial prostatitis caused by Escherichia coli or Proteus mirabilis.
Lower Respiratory Tract Infections
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of lower respiratory tract infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Proteus mirabilis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Haemophilus influenzae, Haemophilus parainfluenzae, or Streptococcus pneumoniae. Also, Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are indicated for the treatment of acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis caused by Moraxella catarrhalis.
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of acute sinusitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, or Moraxella catarrhalis.
Skin and Skin Structure Infections
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of skin and skin structure infections caused by Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Enterobacter cloacae, Proteus mirabilis, Proteus vulgaris, Providencia stuartii, Morganella morganii, Citrobacter freundii, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus, methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus epidermidis, or Streptococcus pyogenes.
Bone and Joint Infections
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of bone and joint infections caused by Enterobacter cloacae, Serratia marcescens, or Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Complicated Intra-Abdominal Infections
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of complicated intra-abdominal infections (used in combination with metronidazole) caused by Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Proteus mirabilis, Klebsiella pneumoniae, or Bacteroides fragilis.
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of infectious diarrhea caused by Escherichia coli (enterotoxigenic isolates), Campylobacter jejuni, Shigella boydii†,Shigella dysenteriae, Shigella flexneri or Shigella sonnei† when antibacterial therapy is indicated.
†Although treatment of infections due to this organism in this organ system demonstrated a clinically significant outcome, efficacy was studied in fewer than 10 patients.
Typhoid Fever (Enteric Fever)
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of typhoid fever (enteric fever) caused by Salmonella typhi. The efficacy of Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm in the eradication of the chronic typhoid carrier state has not been demonstrated.
Uncomplicated Cervical and Urethral Gonorrhea
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are indicated in adult patients for treatment of uncomplicated cervical and urethral gonorrhea due to Neisseria gonorrhoeae.
Complicated Urinary Tract Infections and Pyelonephritis
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are indicated in pediatric patients one to 17 years of age for treatment of complicated urinary tract infections (cUTI) and pyelonephritis due to Escherichia coli.
Inhalational Anthrax (post-exposure)
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are indicated in adults and pediatric patients from birth to 17 years of age for inhalational anthrax (post-exposure) to reduce the incidence or progression of disease following exposure to aerosolized Bacillus anthracis.
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm serum concentrations achieved in humans served as a surrogate endpoint reasonably likely to predict clinical benefit and provided the initial basis for approval of this indication.1 Supportive clinical information for Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm for anthrax post-exposure prophylaxis was obtained during the anthrax bioterror attacks of October 2001.
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are indicated for treatment of plague, including pneumonic and septicemic plague, due to Yersinia pestis (Y. pestis) and prophylaxis for plague in adults and pediatric patients from birth to 17 years of age. Efficacy studies of Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm could not be conducted in humans with plague for feasibility reasons. Therefore this indication is based on an efficacy study conducted in animals only.
Limitation of Use
Use in Pediatric Patients
Although effective in clinical trials, Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm is not a drug of first choice in the pediatric population due to an increased incidence of adverse events compared to controls, including events related to joints and/or surrounding tissues. Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP, like other fluoroquinolones, is associated with arthropathy and histopathological changes in weight-bearing joints of juvenile animals.
Lower Respiratory Tract Infections
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP are not a drug of first choice in the treatment of presumed or confirmed pneumonia secondary to Streptococcus pneumoniae.
To reduce the development of drug-resistant bacteria and maintain the effectiveness of Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP and other antibacterial drugs, Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP should be used only to treat or prevent infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by susceptible bacteria. When culture and susceptibility information are available, they should be considered in selecting or modifying antibacterial therapy. In the absence of such data, local epidemiology and susceptibility patterns may contribute to the empiric selection of therapy.
If anaerobic organisms are suspected of contributing to the infection, appropriate therapy should be administered. Appropriate culture and susceptibility tests should be performed before treatment in order to isolate and identify organisms causing infection and to determine their susceptibility to Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm. Therapy with Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm tablets USP may be initiated before results of these tests are known; once results become available appropriate therapy should be continued. As with other drugs, some isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa may develop resistance fairly rapidly during treatment with Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm. Culture and susceptibility testing performed periodically during therapy will provide information not only on the therapeutic effect of the antimicrobial agent but also on the possible emergence of bacterial resistance.
How should I use Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm?
Use Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm refilled.
- Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you miss a dose of Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm.
Uses of Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm in details
Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm is used to treat wide range of bacterial infections including lung or respiratory tract infections, eye infection, bladder and kidney infections, reproductive tract infections, skin and soft tissue infections and bone and joint infections.
A broad-spectrum antimicrobial carboxyfluoroquinoline. [PubChem]
Active ingredient matches for Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm:
Ciprofloxacin in Germany.
- DailyMed. "CIPROFLOXACIN; DEXAMETHASONE: DailyMed provides trustworthy information about marketed drugs in the United States. DailyMed is the official provider of FDA label information (package inserts).". https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/se... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- Wikipedia. "ciprofloxacin: Link to the compound information in Wikipedia.". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciprofloxa... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- PubChem. "ciprofloxacin". https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compoun... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- FDA Orange Book. "CIPROFLOXACIN; CIPROFLOXACIN HYDROCHLORIDE: The publication, Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations (the List, commonly known as the Orange Book), identifies drug products approved on the basis of safety and effectiveness by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act).". https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/InformationOnD... (accessed September 18, 2017).
ReviewsThe results of a survey conducted on ndrugs.com for Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm are given in detail below. The results of the survey conducted are based on the impressions and views of the website users and consumers taking Ciprofloxacin-Uropharm. We implore you to kindly base your medical condition or therapeutic choices on the result or test conducted by a physician or licensed medical practitioners.
Consumer reported usefulNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported price estimatesNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported time for resultsNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported ageNo survey data has been collected yet