What are the possible side effects of Guaifenesin?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Guaifenesin: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Less serious Guaifenesin side effects may include:
dizziness or headache,
a rash, or
nausea, vomiting, or stomach upset.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Side effects of Guaifenesin in details
Applies to Guaifenesin: oral capsule, oral capsule extended release, oral elixir, oral liquid, oral packet, oral solution, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release
In addition to its needed effects, some unwanted effects may be caused by Guaifenesin (the active ingredient contained in Guaifenesin LA). In the event that any of these side effects do occur, they may require medical attention.
Minor Side Effects
Some of the side effects that can occur with Guaifenesin may not need medical attention. As your body adjusts to the medicine during treatment these side effects may go away. Your health care professional may also be able to tell you about ways to reduce or prevent some of these side effects. If any of the following side effects continue, are bothersome or if you have any questions about them, check with your health care professional:
Less common or rare:
- nausea or vomiting
- skin rash
- stomach pain
What is the most important information I should know about Guaifenesin?
- Guaifenesin may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Guaifenesin. Using Guaifenesin alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- If cough persists for more than 1 week or is accompanied by a fever, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Guaifenesin may interfere with some lab tests. Make sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Guaifenesin.
- Use Guaifenesin with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Guaifenesin during pregnancy. It is unknown if Guaifenesin is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Guaifenesin, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Guaifenesin is contraindicated in patients with a known hypersensitivity to methadone hydrochloride or any other ingredient in DOLOPHINE.
Guaifenesin is contraindicated in any situation where opioids are contraindicated such as: patients with respiratory depression (in the absence of resuscitative equipment or in unmonitored settings), and in patients with acute bronchial asthma or hypercarbia.
Guaifenesin is contraindicated in any patient who has or is suspected of having a paralytic ileus.
- DailyMed. "GUAIFENESIN; HYDROCODONE BITARTRATE: DailyMed provides trustworthy information about marketed drugs in the United States. DailyMed is the official provider of FDA label information (package inserts).". https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailyme... (accessed September 17, 2018).
- DTP/NCI. "guaifenesin: The NCI Development Therapeutics Program (DTP) provides services and resources to the academic and private-sector research communities worldwide to facilitate the discovery and development of new cancer therapeutic agents.". https://dtp.cancer.gov/dtpstandard/s... (accessed September 17, 2018).
- European Chemicals Agency - ECHA. "Guaifenesin: The information provided here is aggregated from the "Notified classification and labelling" from ECHA's C&L Inventory. ". https://echa.europa.eu/information-o... (accessed September 17, 2018).
ReviewsThe results of a survey conducted on ndrugs.com for Guaifenesin are given in detail below. The results of the survey conducted are based on the impressions and views of the website users and consumers taking Guaifenesin. We implore you to kindly base your medical condition or therapeutic choices on the result or test conducted by a physician or licensed medical practitioners.
Consumer reported side effectsNo survey data has been collected yet
There are no reviews yet. Be the first to write one!
Information checked by Dr. Sachin Kumar, MD Pharmacology