An overdose of Iodine is not expected to be dangerous. Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222 if anyone has accidentally swallowed the medicine.
Symptoms of overdose from swallowing Iodine may include stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, extreme thirst, or being unable to urinate.
Overdose of Iodine in details
When a dose is taken in higher dose than the recommended doses, it is called Overdose. Overdose always needs a clinical supervision. Any medicine or drug when consumed in Overdose produces untoward side effects on one or various organs in the body. A medicine is excreted in the kidney or metabolized in the liver most of the times. This process goes without any hurdles when taken in normal dose, but when taken in an overdose, the body is not able to metabolize it or send it out properly which causes the effects of anoverdose.
Symptoms: Metallic taste, vomiting, abdominal pain, bloody diarrhoea, thirst, headache. Systemic toxicity may result in shock, tachycardia, fever, metabolic acidosis, renal impairment. Management: Milk or starch mucilage may be given.
Oral treatment may also include activated charcoal or 1% sodium thiosulfate solution.
What should I avoid while taking Iodine?
Do not get Iodine in your eyes. If contact does occur, rinse with water. Seek medical advice if you have ongoing eye irritation.
Warnings are a mix of Precautions. Contraindications and interactions and serious harmful effects associated with the medicine intake. A diabetic or Hypertensive patient need to be warned about few drug interactions. A known hypersensitivity patient needs to be careful about the reactions or anaphylactic shock. A pregnant woman or a breastfeeding woman should be warned of certain medications. A Hepatitis [liver disease] patient or a cardiac patient should avoid few drugs.
Caution is necessary if preparations containing Iodine or iodides are taken for long periods, and such preparations should not be taken regularly during pregnancy except when Iodine supplementation is required. Caution is also required when giving Iodine or iodides to children. Patients over the age of 45 years or with nodular goitres are especially susceptible to hyperthyroidism when given Iodine supplementation. Reduced doses should therefore be used and supplementation with iodised oil may not be appropriate.
Solutions of Iodine applied to the skin should not be covered with occlusive dressings. The disinfectant activity of Iodine is reduced by alkalis as well as by protein.
As Iodine and iodides can affect the thyroid gland, their use may interfere with tests of thyroid function.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking Iodine?
In deciding to use a medicine, the risks of taking the medicine must be weighed against the good it will do. This is a decision you and your doctor will make. For Iodine, the following should be considered:
Tell your doctor if you have ever had any unusual or allergic reaction to Iodine or any other medicines. Also tell your health care professional if you have any other types of allergies, such as to foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals. For non-prescription products, read the label or package ingredients carefully.
Use of topical Iodine is not recommended for newborn infants because it may cause skin and thyroid problems.
Many medicines have not been studied specifically in older people. Therefore, it may not be known whether they work exactly the same way they do in younger adults. Although there is no specific information comparing use of topical Iodine in the elderly with use in other age groups, Iodine is not expected to cause different side effects or problems in older people than it does in younger adults.
Interactions with Medicines
Although certain medicines should not be used together at all, in other cases two different medicines may be used together even if an interaction might occur. In these cases, your doctor may want to change the dose, or other precautions may be necessary. Tell your healthcare professional if you are taking any other prescription or nonprescription (over-the-counter [OTC]) medicine.
Interactions with Food/Tobacco/Alcohol
Certain medicines should not be used at or around the time of eating food or eating certain types of food since interactions may occur. Using alcohol or tobacco with certain medicines may also cause interactions to occur. Discuss with your healthcare professional the use of your medicine with food, alcohol, or tobacco.
Other Medical Problems
The presence of other medical problems may affect the use of Iodine. Make sure you tell your doctor if you have any other medical problems, especially:
Animal bites or
Deep wounds or
Serious burns—The chance of side effects may be increased
Certain people who are very sick or very old or who are sensitive show an exacerbation of side effect of the drug which can turn dangerous at times. So, it is very important to remember the precautions while taking the medicine. Pregnancy and Breastfeeding are also special categories wherein extra care or precaution is needed when taking a drug. Few patients may have a hypersensitivity reaction to few medications, and that can be life-threatening rarely. Penicillin hypersensitivity is one example. Diarrhea, rashes are few other symptoms which need a watch. A patient with other co-existing diseases like liver disease, heart disease, kidney disease should take special precautions.
• Renal impairment: Use with caution in patients with renal impairment.
Dosage form specific issues:
• Iodosorb: For use as topical application to wet wounds only.
• Appropriate use: Not for application to large areas of the body or for use with tight or air-excluding bandages. When used as a topical antiseptic, improper use may lead to product contamination. Although infrequent, product contamination has been associated with reports of localized and systemic infections. To reduce the risk of infection, ensure antiseptic products are used according to the labeled instructions; avoid diluting products after opening; and apply single-use containers only one time to one patient and discard any unused solution (FDA Drug Safety Communication, 2013).
• OTC labeling: When used for self-medication (OTC), do not use on deep wounds, puncture wounds, animal bites, or serious burns without consulting with health care provider. Notify healthcare provider if condition does not improve within 7 days.
What happens if I miss a dose of Iodine?
When you miss a dose, you should take it as soon as you remember, but you should take care that it should be well spaced from the next dose. You should not take an extra dose at the time of the second dose as it will become a double dose. The double dose can give unwanted side effects, so be careful. In chronic conditions or when you have a serious health issue, if you miss a dose, you should inform your health care provider and ask his suggestion.
Skip the missed dose and use your next dose at the regular time. Do not use two doses at one time.
DailyMed. "POTASSIUM IODIDE: DailyMed provides trustworthy information about marketed drugs in the United States. DailyMed is the official provider of FDA label information (package inserts).". https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailyme... (accessed September 17, 2018).