Was this medicine useful for you?
What is Moxifloxacin-Actavis?
Moxifloxacin-Actavis is used to treat bacterial infections in many different parts of the body.
Moxifloxacin-Actavis belongs to the class of medicines known as quinolone antibiotics. It works by killing bacteria or preventing their growth. However, this medicine will not work for colds, flu, or other virus infections.
This medicine is available only with your doctor's prescription.
Acute Bacterial Sinusitis
Moxifloxacin-Actavis hydrochloride tablets are indicated in adult patients (18 years of age and older) for the treatment of Acute Bacterial Sinusitis caused by susceptible isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, or Moraxella catarrhalis.
Acute Bacterial Exacerbation of Chronic Bronchitis
Moxifloxacin-Actavis hydrochloride tablets are indicated in adult patients for the treatment of Acute Bacterial Exacerbation of Chronic Bronchitis caused by susceptible isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, Haemophilus parainfluenzae, Klebsiella pneumoniae, methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus, or Moraxella catarrhalis.
Community Acquired Pneumonia
Moxifloxacin-Actavis hydrochloride tablets are indicated in adult patients for the treatment of Community Acquired Pneumonia caused by susceptible isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae (including multi-drug resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae [MDRSP]),Haemophilus influenzae, Moraxella catarrhalis, methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Mycoplasma pneumoniae, or Chlamydophila pneumoniae.
MDRSP isolates are isolates resistant to two or more of the following antibacterial drugs: penicillin (minimum inhibitory concentrations [MIC] ≥ 2 mcg/mL), 2nd generation cephalosporins (for example, cefuroxime), macrolides, tetracyclines, and trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole.
Uncomplicated Skin and Skin Structure Infections
Moxifloxacin-Actavis hydrochloride tablets are indicated in adult patients for the treatment of Uncomplicated Skin and Skin Structure Infections caused by susceptible isolates of methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus or Streptococcus pyogenes.
Complicated Skin and Skin Structure Infections
Moxifloxacin-Actavis hydrochloride tablets are indicated in adult patients for the treatment of Complicated Skin and Skin Structure Infections caused by susceptible isolates of methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, or Enterobacter cloacae.
Complicated Intra-Abdominal Infections
Moxifloxacin-Actavis hydrochloride tablets are indicated in adult patients for the treatment of Complicated Intra-Abdominal Infections including polymicrobial infections such as abscess caused by susceptible isolates of Escherichia coli, Bacteroides fragilis, Streptococcus anginosus, Streptococcus constellatus, Enterococcus faecalis, Proteus mirabilis, Clostridium perfringens, Bacteroides thetaiotaomicron, or Peptostreptococcus species.
Moxifloxacin-Actavis hydrochloride tablets are indicated in adult patients for the treatment of plague, including pneumonic and septicemic plague, due to susceptible isolates of Yersinia pestis and prophylaxis of plague in adult patients. Efficacy studies of Moxifloxacin-Actavis could not be conducted in humans with plague for feasibility reasons. Therefore this indication is based on an efficacy study conducted in animals only.
To reduce the development of drug-resistant bacteria and maintain the effectiveness of Moxifloxacin-Actavis hydrochloride tablets and other antibacterial drugs, Moxifloxacin-Actavis hydrochloride tablets should be used only to treat or prevent infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by susceptible bacteria. When culture and susceptibility information are available, they should be considered in selecting or modifying antibacterial therapy. In the absence of such data, local epidemiology and susceptibility patterns may contribute to the empiric selection of therapy.
How should I use Moxifloxacin-Actavis?
Use Moxifloxacin-Actavis tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Moxifloxacin-Actavis tablets comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Moxifloxacin-Actavis tablets refilled.
- Take Moxifloxacin-Actavis tablets by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Drink plenty of liquids while taking Moxifloxacin-Actavis tablets.
- Do not take a product that has magnesium, aluminum, calcium, zinc, iron, or sucralfate in it within 8 hours before or 4 hours after you take Moxifloxacin-Actavis tablets. Examples of these products include antacids, multivitamins, chewable/buffered didanosine, didanosine suspension, and quinapril. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you have a question about whether you should separate Moxifloxacin-Actavis tablets from a certain food or product.
- Take Moxifloxacin-Actavis tablets on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Moxifloxacin-Actavis tablets for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Moxifloxacin-Actavis tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take more than 1 dose in the same day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Moxifloxacin-Actavis tablets.
Uses of Moxifloxacin-Actavis in details
Moxifloxacin-Actavis is used to treat bacterial infections of the respiratory tract, infections of female upper genital tract, abdominal infections and infections of skin and eye.
Each tablet contains Moxifloxacin-Actavis HCl 436.8 mg equivalent to Moxifloxacin-Actavis 400 mg. It also contains croscarmellose sodium, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, hypromellose, macrogol 4000, titanium dioxide (E171) and ferric oxide (E172) as inactive constituents.
Each 250 mL solution for infusion contain Moxifloxacin-Actavis HCl 436.8 mg equivalent to Moxifloxacin-Actavis 400 mg. It also contains sodium chloride, 1N hydrochloric acid, 2N sodium hydroxide and water for injection. The solution for infusion (250 mL) contains sodium 34 mmol.
Active ingredient matches for Moxifloxacin-Actavis:
Moxifloxacin in Denmark, Germany, Switzerland.
- Wikipedia. "moxifloxacin: Link to the compound information in Wikipedia.". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxifloxac... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- PubChem. "moxifloxacin". https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compoun... (accessed September 18, 2017).
- FDA Orange Book. "Patent:9114168: The publication, Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations (the List, commonly known as the Orange Book), identifies drug products approved on the basis of safety and effectiveness by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act).". https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/InformationOnD... (accessed September 18, 2017).
ReviewsThe results of a survey conducted on ndrugs.com for Moxifloxacin-Actavis are given in detail below. The results of the survey conducted are based on the impressions and views of the website users and consumers taking Moxifloxacin-Actavis. We implore you to kindly base your medical condition or therapeutic choices on the result or test conducted by a physician or licensed medical practitioners.
Consumer reported usefulNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported price estimatesNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported time for resultsNo survey data has been collected yet
Consumer reported ageNo survey data has been collected yet